For decades eating healthy and exercising have been important factors for optimum health.
In the last 10-15 years there has been a push toward natural and organic personal care products such as lotions, creams, deodorants, and personal hygiene products.
However, it appears some feminine hygiene product companies have not received the memo. These products still contain ingredients that are bad for our health. Or have been banned in other countries!- Could your tampons or pads contain some of these harmful chemicals? Read on to find out!
Always, Kotex, and Maxi Pads
When I grew up I did not have many options when it came to feminine hygiene products. I vividly remember the brands Always Kotex and Maxi pads. Today, there are numerous brands and options for you to choose from to avoid chemically laden products.
Is Your Tampon filled with Toxic Chemicals?
If you go down your local Target aisle today you will see your “old school” tampon options as well as many new products that claim to be organic and free of harmful chemicals and dyes. Exciting right?!
How Can You Avoid Toxic Chemicals in Your Feminine Products?
- Remember, especially with tampons, these products are going in your body, and if harmful chemicals are present they will be introduced into your female reproductive system quite easily.
- Make sure you always purchase tampons that are free of dyes colors and fragrances. Your vagina has a way to cleanse itself from the inside out so no fragrance is needed. If you have a significantly strong odor, contact your gynecologist.
- Read the label! Even if it states it’s free of chemicals on the front of the packaging the back has to list everything in the product.
- Know what to look out for. Many of us read ingredients in food and are pretty savvy about what to avoid, however it may NOT be that easy when you are trying to determine what chemicals are on your tampon. I have included a list below of what to look out for the next time you buy your tampons or pads.
So What Tampon Should I Buy ???
Instead of discussing a specific brand, I will tell you what ingredients to avoid to ensure chemicals are not introduced into your vagina.
First, choose brands that are made with natural/organic products, then turn the package around, look at the label and ensure you avoid the following chemicals…
- Titanium Dioxide (Dioxin)– This chemical has been used as a whitening agent and has been shown to be a possible carcinogenic. I would avoid anything with this ingredient in my vajayjay!
- Rayon– is used in tampons because of the extreme absorbency it provides. However, because rayon is so absorbent, it concentrates menstrual proteins which allow the bacteria Staphylococcus aureus to grow and cause toxic shock syndrome. For More on Toxic Shock click HERE.
- BPA- is a chemical that is used in making plastics. It is used in making the applicator for the tampon. BPA has been known to be a hormone disrupter, increase blood pressure and type 2 diabetes, and cardiovascular disease. If I were you, I would steer clear of BPA!
- Fragrances- any type of fragrance or color should never be introduced to the sensitive microflora of your vagina. Many of these chemicals are synthetic in nature and no one is really sure how it coils affect your body.
The Non-Toxic movement has taken over! Check out this YouTuber’s Insight on the matter:
The Brands I Trust With My Feminine Needs Are:
Did you know….
On May 11, 2017, Ms. Grace Meng introduced a bill that would require that all feminine hygiene products include their ingredients on the label. It was referred to as the “Menstrual Products Right to Know Act of 2017”. If you would like to know more about this bill click HERE