We all know the benefits of plants and trees on the environment, but did you know having plants indoors could also benefit your health and mood?!
Did you know that having plants in your home actually cleans the air and helps to eliminate toxins? I sure didn’t.
I’ve Never Had a Green Thumb
Historically, I have never had a green thumb. Actually, I could not keep my plants from dying. But, after learning from my mother and my husband about the benefits of owning plants, and how they could benefit my health, (they are excellent at growing things, ugh) I realized this was something I needed to learn more about!
In the winter months, we are more prone to having our windows closed and the heat on full blast (especially if you live in the northeast). For months at a time, we rarely open the windows to let fresh air in.
Exhaust from furnaces and off-gasses from things like rugs and furniture can cause the air in our homes to be less than ideal.
This is where owning and indoor plant can benefit you.
How Indoor Plants Benefit YOU…
Plants can actually improve the indoor air in your home! ( for Free!)
- Aid In Healing- Kansas State University conducted a study in which they determined that indoor house plants improve your blood pressure, decrease feelings of anxiety, and improve the healing time of wounds, Wow!
- Absorb Toxins– Plants help absorb toxins in your homes, such as carbon dioxide, and low levels of toxins like formaldehyde.
- Filters Microbes– Indoor plants can decrease airborne microbes such as mold spores and bacteria. If you have allergies this could be beneficial for you!
- Increases humidity in the air- Indoor plants increase the humidity in your home which could help eliminate colds, flu, and dry skin.
- Improves Work Environment – Having plants in your office or work area improves memory and concentration by as much as 47%!
Which Plants Should I Buy?
Not all plants are created equal. Here are 5 plants that can provide substantial benefit and are easy to care for!
Pothos or Water Plant
- Cleans the air removing formaldehyde, benzene, and carbon monoxide
- Eliminates indoor odors
- Pothos plants can help with eye irritation from excessive screen use or allergens
- Easy to Maintain: Low watering- low maintenance
- Buy Here
- Removes harmful toxins in the air
- Naturally improves humidity in the air
- Easy To Maintain: Likes humidity- mist on a daily basis, low light area
- A significant benefit for those with dry skin in the winter
- Buy Here
- Filters the air in your home; helps you breathe easier
- Removes airborne mold spores; reduces allergens
- Blooms all year round with white flowers
- Easy to Maintain- Low light tolerant
- Leaves slump when watering is required; they perk up once watered (foolproof!)
- Filters indoor air even at night
- Removes toxins and allergens in the home
- Mental health booster
- Easy to Maintain-Easy to grow, Low light, Light watering
- Buy Here
If you would like to purchase these plants locally, I would reccomend, Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, and Home Depot. They always have a great selection of plants at reasonable prices. Also, check out your local nurseries they may have a variety of plants, and staff who can answer most of your questions.
You May Also Be Interested In:
Epsom Salt: How To Use This Miracle Salt !